Dear Plain Local Community,
It is my honor to recognize Board of Education Member, John Halkias. John was installed as the 2019 President of the Ohio School Boards Association on Saturday, January 12. Mr. Halkias is the first Stark County Board Member to achieve this honor and represent the state of Ohio. John has been on the board of education since 1999 and continues to advocate for public education across the state of Ohio. We are fortunate to have John and the entire board in Plain Local. Each member serves this community to provide the best experiences and opportunities for each student in Plain Local. I am proud to serve this board and community and I look forward to the future working together. Thank you!
As we begin 2019, I would like to remind everyone to continue conversations with your children at home about issues that may be impacting them at school. Our students are speaking up more than ever, and we need to encourage students to speak up if they see something or have a concern. Children are dealing with many issues in their lives and we are here to support your family through these times. I have outlined a few reminders below for families as possible talking points at home.
- Limit screen time and monitor social media and communication
- If you notice behavior or mood changes, please contact a school counselor
- Have your child charge their phone at night outside the bedroom- allow them to disconnect and get uninterrupted sleep
- Have your child eat breakfast at home or when they arrive at school- breakfast is the most important meal of the day
- Ensure firearms are locked at all times
- Find time each night to disconnect and talk to your child about their day
We have many resources available to families. Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health is now located at GlenOak High School. The school can assist you with appointments and the process to access care at any time. We are here to help!
In closing, I am more impressed with our students and staff every day as I am out in buildings or attending events in the evening. We have great students and they are doing amazing things. We are stronger united as a team as we prepare our young children for their next journey in life. Thank you for your support!