May 3, 2020
Dear Plain Local Community,
Congratulations, Class of 2020! I realize this is not how you thought your senior year would end, but we are planning to make your graduation a special event. The district has been working on various plans, including scheduling alternative dates for graduation, locations, holding an on-campus ceremony at GlenOak High School later this summer, and determining how the ceremony could be structured meeting guidelines from the State Health Department. Last Wednesday, April 29, Governor Dewine announced new graduation guidelines that further clarified our planning. Our last resort has been planning for an alternative commencement celebration in the event that we would not have an opportunity to gather.
Personally, this has been a difficult decision as the father of a senior and the superintendent. We are all excited to celebrate our children who have reached this milestone. It is a special time with family, and these memories last a lifetime. I also realize that every decision has a consequence. Our decisions today will save lives in the future, and we have a responsibility to ensure the safety of everyone in the Plain Local community. I believe we have created a plan that will comply with all health and safety guidelines and honor you, Class of 2020, in a memorable manner.
Due to the current situation and recent state directives regarding graduation, the Plain Local School District will modify graduation for the class of 2020. We have created a ceremony where each student will walk across the stage at GlenOak High School, and four (4) immediate family members can attend. Please note, this will be strictly enforced. Additional family members will be required to remain in their car. Social distancing and all Ohio Department of Health guidelines will be followed during this time. Details about the ceremony are listed below. I hope everyone will come together and support our graduates. Our seniors deserve to have your support and feel positivity in our community. I realize nothing can replace the traditional commencement ceremony, but this will honor our seniors with dignity and respect they deserve! I appreciate your support during these unprecedented times, and I look forward to celebrating the Class of 2020. Further details will be released by Mr. Babics and Mrs. Kimbrough at GlenOak High School.
Sunday, May 17: Virtual Senior Academic Awards
- Tune in to help us recognize and celebrate our outstanding seniors via a virtual Academic Award program that will be released on YouTube on May 17 at 7:00pm.
- The video can be found on the GOHS Video Production YouTube channel here.
Wednesday, May 20 – Friday, May 22: Cap and Gown Pick-Up
Tuesday, May 26: Celebration Video
- Cap & Gown pick-up at GlenOak High School.
- Students will receive specific time slots to attend based on last name.
- Students will drop off any items that need to be turned in (Chromebooks, Instruments, Uniforms, etc).
- Students will be able to pay any outstanding fees and fines.
Wednesday, May 27 – Friday, May 30: Graduation Ceremony
- In honor of our original graduation date, a special congratulatory video for the class of 2020 will be released at 7 pm on all social media channels and posted to our website.
- Use our Hashtag #GOHSGrad2020 to celebrate during this time! Let’s make this hashtag trend on social media!
Sunday, June 7: LIVE Graduation Watch Party at 6 pm
- Families will sign-up to reserve a time slot; a link to sign-up will be emailed out by Mr. Babics.
- Graduates will enter the building dressed in cap and gown with only parents/guardians (no more than 4 people) during their designated time.
- Students and their families will be asked to remain in their car until their designated time slot.
- Students will walk across the stage at GlenOak High School as their name is announced and receive their diploma.
- After walking across the stage, graduates will have their photograph taken and then exit out of separate doors.
- A professional picture will be taken of each graduate as they exit the stage.
- All pictures will be available to download online for all families at no cost.
- Professional video of the ceremony will be released to the community that will include all segments of the traditional graduation ceremony and will be available to watch live on youtube starting at 6 pm.
- Instructions on how to view youtube from your phone, device, or stream it on your smartTV will be available for any families that need it.
- We encourage our entire community to view the ceremony and share your well-wishes on social media using the hashtag #GOHSGrad2020