The preschool / elementary Special Education Department serves students in grades preschool-5. The department oversees school psychologists, speech therapists, physical therapists, and occupational therapist. In addition, the district employs special education teachers and educational assistants.
The major responsibilities of the Department of Special Education are to provide leadership development, technical assistance, and support to school staffs to assure compliance and appropriate delivery of services for students with special needs and other students receiving services in non-public schools.
These functions include:
- Manages the Special Education Child Information Management System. Manages the assignment of students with IEP's.
- Develops and implements staff development in compliance and best practices in special education.
- Serves as district representative to the Ohio Department of Education, Division of Special Education and the Special Education Regional Resource Center.
- Serves as a liaison to community agencies serving students with special needs.
- Provides technical assistance to schools in implementation of local, state, and federal mandates in special education for students.
- Manages related services staff (tutors, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech pathologists).
- Develops and manages federal and state grants for special education.
- Serves as district level contact for concerns about special education students.